As Chinese consumers become more mobile and are increasingly
spending more leisure time outside their home, the Out of Home
(OOH) market means enormous commercial opportunities. The Q1 Key
and provincial capitals snacks and beverage market is up to 36
billion yuan with average spending 360 yuan per person.
In Kantar Worldpanel's Out of Home Panel, all details on actual
consumer decisions are captured through smartphones, which allow
4,000 urban consumers in key (Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou and
Chengdu) and provincial-level cities to provide immediate and
accurate information of every single purchase, including the exact
product they consumed, through which channel, when and why.
Key findings for Q1 snacks and beverages out of home market,
* 56% of the purchase occasions are for
self-consumption, whilst 40% are for sharing with others.
* As age increases, there are more sharing
purchase occasions, going from 30% for teens to 50% in the
* East/South and Key Cities, most attractive areas
for Out of Home markets, with higher number of occasions and spend
* CVS, Restaurant and KTV/Cinema are the main
channels for Beverages, but for Snacks, CVS, supermarket and
hypermarkets are the main choice.
* Bottled water is the most basic market, as more
than 80% of the individuals bought it an average of seven
* For soy milk, most important moment to consume the
product is for breakfast, which covers 67% of all the occasions on
* For Beer, dinner and after dinner are the most
typical moments, meaning around 55% of the occasions.
Source: Kantar Worldpanel